Sweet Potato Toast Breakfast Burger
IT’S HERE!!! Today is the first day of my first annual SWEET POTATO TOAST WEEK!! Can you feel the excitement? I have been working on some amazing sweet potato toast recipes to share with you every day this week – that’s right, 5 new recipes!! I didn’t even mean to plan this but this week it will have been one year since I posted the original sweet potato toast recipes and honestly my life hasn’t been the same since! These easily toasted taters have been pinned half a million times and took me to New York and the pages of Glamour magazine. WHAT A YEAR! So why the obsession? The ease of toasting? The delicious taste? The nutrients and carbs vs. bread? Whatever it is (and it’s all of those things), I am stoked that you all love it so much because I do too!! This week you will see how you can eat SPT for breakfast, lunch and most importantly DESSERT! Yeah that’s coming on Friday.
For now I think it is time to talk about and appreciate the art of the Sweet Potato Toast Breakfast Burger! I realize I rarely make recipes on my blog with beef which is funny because we do eat beef it just doesn’t make it into the daily routine. Something about a burger feels like a special occasion doesn’t it? To me it makes me think of summer barbecues with family which are the best! We actually had burgers this weekend for Mother’s Day… so good!! So for these I added just a touch of fennel and sage to give the beef that breakfast sausage flavor and stacked the burger with all the breakfast goods – bacon, eggs and KETCHUP! This recipe is also Whole30 compliant and I think is a great way to enjoy the weekend while not feeling bad about it for A MINUTE. I mean come on – protein, healthy fat and a veg? (And yes we are calling sweet potato a veg which it totally is even if it’s a starchy one!) You can also throw on some lettuce if you want but I couldn’t be bothered. (insert laughing emoji – which I might use too much).
OKAY time to toast these slices. And YES you put them in raw – I use this ZHEN knife and it is AMAZING at cutting through a tough sweet tater!
GIVE ME ALL THE BACON!
If you love this Breakfast Recipe here are a few more breakfast recipes for you to try:
Make sure to pin this Sweet Potato Toast Breakfast Burger for later!!
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 pound grass fed ground beef
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked
- clean ketchup
Sweet Potato Toast:
- Slice sweet potatoes lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices. Add to the toaster like you would bread and toast on high. Toast them 2-3 times through until there is a little bit a browning on both sides.
- In a medium bowl combine beef, fennel, sage and salt and mix with hands to combine. Divide into 4 oval shaped patties (to fit on a sweet potato slice) and cook on a skillet over medium high heat for 3 minutes on each side.
- Once patties are done, break eggs (separately) into the pan and fry until your desired egg style is reached. (runny yolk or cooked through!)
- Build burger with some ketchup, burger patty, egg and bacon!
- You need a sharp knife to slice easily through a sweet potato! I LOVE this ZHEN knife!