Spice Cake with Dairy Free Cream Cheese
Back with another baked good!! And this time it is both gluten free and nut free with the use of oat flour! If you have never baked with oat flour, fear not, it’s so easy to work with. It is also incredibly eat to make. I have bought oat flour from Thrive Market, but you can easily make it yourself by just throwing oats in a blender or food processor and blending until they are a fine flour. Then to keep this delicious cake dairy free as well I made the frosting using a dairy free cream cheese! If you don’t need it to be nut free, I love Kite Hill plain cream cheese for this, but if you need nut free you can use Daiya cream cheese, or even regular cream cheese if dairy is okay for you. Lots of options out there these days!! You can also totally do a plain glaze with just powdered sugar and water or milk to keep it simple. The flavor in here is amazing, not only because of the spices but also the molasses! Molasses adds such a great depth of flavor while also adding moisture which a spice cake needs. I hope you make this and love it!!
If you love this recipe here are a few more yummy treats to try:
Pin the image below to save this Spice Cake with Dairy Free Cream Cheese Frosting recipe for later!
- 1 ¾ cups oat flour
- ½ cup arrowroot flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ½ cup ghee, melted
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 oz (1/2 cup ) dairy free cream cheese frosting*
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line an 8×8 pyrex dish with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl combine all of the cake ingredients and stir to combine until smooth.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- While the cake cools combine dairy free cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract and stir to combine until smooth. Once cake is completely cooled, spread on the cream cheese frosting.
- You can also add a sprinkle of cinnamon on top if you like!
- I use Kite Hill cream cheese for dairy free but you can use any you like or even regular cream cheese if you don’t need dairy free.
- There are nut free and dairy free cream cheeses you can find as well, like Daiya.