This Roasted Bell Pepper & Tomato Soup recipe is perfect for the colder months & a grilled cheese!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 jar roasted bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the chopped onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; cover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir over low heat for 1 minute, or until the flour is fully incorporated.
- Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, bell peppers, tomato paste, and maple syrup and bring to a boil. Cover partially and cook the soup over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth (or as smooth as you like your soup!)
- Add the coconut milk, and cook until the soup is just heated through. Season the soup with salt and pepper and swirl in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. (If you like completely smooth soup you can also pour it through a fine mesh sieve at this point), Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with croutons or grilled cheese, and serve.