Roasted Bell Pepper & Tomato Soup
Daylight Saving has hit which means it gets darn early, this Roasted Bell Pepper & Tomato Soup is perfect for those dark chilly nights.
There is no such thing as too many Tomato Soup Recipes, and this Roasted Bell Pepper and Tomato Soup is the perfect example of that. You never know what happens to a simple tomato soup when you add roasted bell peppers, but it’s a delicious additions. The roasted bell peppers add another layer to the tomatoes without over powering them, they almost add the perfect touch. Of course I made grill cheeses to go with the soup mainly because I always know the kids will always devour it.
Like most soups this Roasted Bell Pepper and Tomato Soup comes in a traditional soup order. Start with your veggies and butter and sauté in a large stock pot for a few minutes until they are browned. Then add flour and make sure all the veggies are covered. Next add all the liquids, broth, tomatoes, paste, maple syrup and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat and allow the soup to cook at medium heat for at least 15 minutes. Next step is to add your immersion blender and blend up. You can make it as thick or thin as you like your soup, totally up to you. Last you need add the coconut milk and allow to come together for a few minutes. Now you are ready to serve with any type of topping!! Enjoy
Do I buy or make these Roasted Bell Peppers?
Great questions! Roasted Bell Peppers are usually found in a glass jar in either the pasta sauce aisle or in the canned veggies aisle. You have most likely walked past it a million times while shopping. There are also loads of recipe on the internet that show how you can make your own roasted bell peppers at home. Essentially you slice your bell peppers and place them open side down on a baking sheet and bake until soft.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes, this is a great soup to freeze for a later time. Just make sure you cool the soup completely before you freeze it. I prefer using Souper Cubes to freeze liquids which make it easier to store and reheat at a later time.
You don’t always want grill cheese with your tomato soup, so we have a few different option to try:
This Roasted Bell Pepper & Tomato Soup recipe is perfect for the colder months & a grilled cheese!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 jar roasted bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the chopped onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; cover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir over low heat for 1 minute, or until the flour is fully incorporated.
- Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, bell peppers, tomato paste, and maple syrup and bring to a boil. Cover partially and cook the soup over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth (or as smooth as you like your soup!)
- Add the coconut milk, and cook until the soup is just heated through. Season the soup with salt and pepper and swirl in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. (If you like completely smooth soup you can also pour it through a fine mesh sieve at this point), Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with croutons or grilled cheese, and serve.