Lemon Quinoa Chicken Salad
Quinoa Quinoa Quinoa. Fun to say and delicious to eat. After I made Mexican Quinoa, I had some uncooked leftover quinoa just waiting for me to mix with something scrumptious. I didn’t plan on posting about it again until later, but inspiration struck and I couldn’t say no. My mom was going through her old recipe box and stumbled upon a “Chicken Rice Salad with Nuts.”
She thought it would be great with quinoa, and I did too! I also made a few swaps to make it healthier and ended up loving the result. Instead of using mayonaise and yogurt, I just used one cup of greek yogurt. I love swapping sour cream or mayonaise for greek yogurt whenever I can. You cannot taste the difference and it saves you calories!
First I cooked some chicken in the oven, and cooked up my quinoa with fat free chicken broth instead of water. Then I chopped up some celery, green bell pepper, and green onions.
Then make your simple dressing. Just greek yogurt, lemon juice, honey, and salt!
Just throw the veggies, chicken and quinoa in a bowl and mix it up. Then add your dressing and stir to coat and combine well.
Scoop over salad greens and top with nuts if you please!
Oh and did I mention serve it with some wine? Definitely do that. This one is a Firestone Chardonnay. I got it at BevMo! It was part of the five cent wine sale… buy one get on for 5 cents?? ugh, love BevMo.Print
- 3 cups Chicken, cooked, and coursely diced
- 1/2 cup Celery, diced
- 2 Green Onions, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup Green Pepper, diced
- 3 cups cooked Quinoa (or brown rice!)
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tbls. Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp. Honey
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 cup raw, unslated almonds (optional)
- Combine chicken, celery, onion, green peppers, and quinoa in a large bowl.
- Combine greek yogurt, lemon juice, honey and salt in small bowl, mix well.
- Pour dressing over mixture and toss lightly until covered.
- Place in refrigerator, covered, for about 2 hours before serving to blend flavors. Add nuts just before serving. Serve on crisp salad greens.
- Makes 6 Servings.