One Pot French Onion Soup Rice
I think the only recipes I can do for the blog anymore are One Pot! With 2 young kids, one pot meals are a life saver. I pack them with protein, veggies, rice and lots of flavor. Everyone is happy and mama isn’t stressed at dinner time!
This French Onion Soup version is SO good and of course it is right? French Onion Soup is my all time favorite soup. The deep flavor of the caramelized onions mixed with thyme, beef broth and topped with the best cheese in the world – gruyere. WOW. Just wow. Nothing better right? I hope you make this recipe because it is just perfect for fall and incredibly delicious. I’m eating it while writing this so I must go now and enjoy it fully. Let me know what you think!
- Avocado oil
- Yellow onion
- Maple syrup
- Minced garlic
- Chicken breast
- Jasmine rice
- Beef stock
- Coconut aminos
- Ground pepper
- Bay leaves
- Cauliflower florets
- Gruyere cheese
As you can tell we are really into one-pot recipes, here are a few more to try:
Pin this One Pot French Onion Soup Rice recipe for later!
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 lb chopped cooked chicken breast*
- 1 cup organic jasmine rice
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos*
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower florets
- ½ cup shredded gruyere cheese (optional)
- Place a pot (like a dutch oven) over medium heat.
- Add oil to the pan and let it warm up.
- Add in sliced onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, then add in the maple syrup and a pinch of salt. Continue to cook for about 10 more minutes until onions are soft and caramelized.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add chicken, rice, beef stock, coconut aminos, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaves.
- Bring to a slight boil, then lower the heat to low.
- Add cauliflower then cover.
- Cook for 15 – 20 min (or however long your rice package says), checking halfway through to stir.
- Then remove the lid and stir. If there is still some liquid, just stir uncovered for a few more minutes.
- Remove from heat, remove bay leaves and add gruyere on top and cover for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
- If you want to cook the chicken as part of the dish, just remove the onions once they are cooked, cook the chicken, chopped for 5-7 minutes, then add the onions back in and continue with the recipe.
- You can swap coconut aminos for red wine!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop