- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 egg whites
- 2 cups Champagne
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 9 – 10 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup champagne
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- a few drops of red food coloring
- raspberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder and satl; set aside. In a mixing bowl with paddle attachement, beat butter and sugar for 3-5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and beat in egg whites one at a time.
- Beat in flour mixture and champagne in alternating additions, starting and ending with flour to prevent curdling. Pour batter into pans and bake 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For the frosting:
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter for 1 minute. Gradually add powdered sugar, champagne, milk, vanilla and food coloring. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Once cake has cooled, place bottom layer on a cake plate and spread half of frosting on top. Add the next layer and cover the cake completey with frosting. Garnish with raspberries!