Broccoli “Cheese” Spaghetti Squash Bake
It’s spaghetti squash bake season and I am so ready for it!! Casseroles are the ultimate way to enjoy meals in the fall months and I get so excited when I find a healthy way to get them in our weeknight rotation. When my sister was visiting a couple of weeks ago we were brainstorming ideas for the blog and she said I should try to make a healthier broccoli cheese soup. Well I can’t leave well enough alone so I took that idea and basically poured a thick soup all over some spaghetti squash and baked it!
What makes up this “cheesy” mix without any dairy you ask? Well it is just a simple blend of roasted butternut squash, nutritional yeast, coconut milk, chicken stock and spices!! They all come together to make a flavorful yet creamy and comforting sauce that coats the spaghetti squash and broccoli perfectly. I think this dish would also be great with some protein in it to make a full meal. You can add in already cooked chopped chicken, rotisserie chicken or even chicken apple sausage! I kept it just as a side dish so you can dress it up any way you like.
I definitely amped up the savory meals this month as so many of you are doing the Septemeber Whole30.. but GET EXCITED.. because October is going to be jam packed with all of the fall baking goodies!! But for now… Whole30 meals will do our bodies some good!
Nutritional yeast is my new best friend! Love that they have it at Trader Joe’s now too!
Everyone loves a great dinner baked in one dish, yahoo:
Pin this Broccoli “Cheese” Spaghetti Squash Bake to save it for later!
- 10 cups peeled and chopped butternut squash (about ½ inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups broccoli florets (cut them into smaller florets, if you have a big ones, cut them in half!)
- 1 cooked spaghetti squash (see below for cooking options)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place chopped butternut squash on the baking sheet and toss with avocado oil and salt. Roast for 30-35 minutes or until a fork can easily pierce through the chunks.
- Place cooked butternut squash in a high powered blender or food processor with nutritional yeast, coconut milk, chicken stock, dijon mustard, garlic powder and onion powder. Blend on high until smooth then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place both broccoli florets and cooked spaghetti squash strands in a large bowl and pour “cheese” sauce on top. Toss well to coat everything with the sauce. Pour the mixture into a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish and place back in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
Ways to cook your spaghetti squash:
- Instant Pot: Slice your spaghetti squash in half the short way and remove seeds. Place 1 cup of water in your instant pot then place the grate inside. Add the spaghetti squash, close the top, place it on sealing and turn it on manual for 6 minutes. Then once the timer is up turn the venting on to manually vent.
- Slow Cooker