One-Pot Chicken Enchilada Rice
I am officially obsessed with one-pot rice dinners!! After making the Chicken Bacon Ranch Rice last month I realized the base of the recipe could be used with so many different flavors, sauces and veggies. So an enchilada version was just an obvious choice. This one-pot meal tastes like a bowl of chicken enchilada comfort but it’s also packed with bell peppers, cauliflower and kale! Now all this talk about enchilada has me thinking, what is your favorite dish at a mexican restaurant? I love enchiladas but I can’t do a full plate. I love a chicken enchilada & taco combo plate with a large margarita on the side. Oh wow do I miss the days of going out to restaurants! Matt and I went on our first date in over a year this weekend and it was so dang fun. I cannot wait till this pandemic is over and we can make dates a more regular thing! But until then we will keep making delicious food at home. Okay we will do that forever but you know what I mean!
How do you make One-Pot Chicken Enchiladas Rice Bake?
Do not be scared by the recipe list, it looks like a lot but really most of the items you will already have in your pantry or fridge.
First bring all the ingredients out onto the counter, always best practice before you start any cooking or baking. Next chop your onions and peppers and sauce in a large dutch oven over medium heat with some oil. Allow these some time to cook down and get really yummy, remove from the heat and set aside.
We can all use quick delicious filling meals, so we have a few more for you to try:
Pin the image below to save this One-Pot Chicken Enchilada Rice for later!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 lb chopped chicken breasts (raw) chopped
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower florets
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp chicken stock
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 cups chopped kale
- ½ cup shredded cheese (optional)
- Place a pot (like a dutch oven) over medium heat and add oil.
- Place in onions and bell peppers and cook for about 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened. Remove the bell peppers and onion and set aside.
- Place the chicken in the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Return peppers and onions to pot and add rice, chicken stock, salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- Bring to a slight boil, then lower the heat to low.
- To make enchilada sauce combine tomato sauce, 2 tbsp chicken stock, cumin, chili powder, minced garlic, onion powder and ¼ tsp salt.
- Add chopped cauliflower and enchilada sauce to the pot and mix to combine, then cover.
- Cook covered for 35 min, checking halfway through to stir.
- Then remove the lid, add kale and cook for another 5 minutes uncovered.
- If using cheese, sprinkle it on top and either let sit to melt, or place under the broiler for 30 seconds – 1 minute to melt.