Summer Camping Series: Tri-Tip w/ Gorgonzola Herb Butter & Roasted Veggies
Camping season!! Matt and I are officially campers. After all we do have an entire storage space at our condo devoted to our camping equipment… gotta be prepared! Camping can be so much fun if you are prepared and the highlight for us always seems to be the food! We went out to Joshua Tree National Park and camped at the Jumbo Rocks campground. It was so beautiful and I feel like we learned so much. From how the rocks were formed to what plants and animals do in the desert to survive, it was all amazing. And can we talk about stars? WOW I love star gazing and the sky this weekend was perfectly clear for it. Between that, the sunrises and the sunsets, it was a magical weekend in the desert. The best part though? THE FOOD! I got so excited to plan out our meals and snacks to make sure we could still eat real food (minus the 6 too many beers we had). Nothing too fancy or difficult just simple good eats!
Check out those rocks!!
We put our Coleman stove to work and brought along a cast iron skillet for most of the cooking. I chopped, seasoned and packed veggies ahead of time so all we had to do was throw them in the pan! Here we have just Brussels sprouts & zucchini chopped with salt, pepper, garlic powder and olive oil.
For the main course we had the beautiful tri-tip we got a Trader Joes! Just seasoned with salt and pepper and on the grill that was at the campsite.
Here is a look at out campsite! Pretty secluded which was lovely. Isn’t my husband, the grill master, cute?
Right when the steak was done we plopped on some Gorgonzola herb butter and tented it so the butter could melt and the juice of the steak could redistribute!
Then Matt went for the cut………
AND IT WAS BEAUTIFUL!!!
And here is the final plate. Matt had the genius idea to take some whole wheat pita we had from lunch, add the leftover gorgonzola herb butter to the inside and throw it on the grill! I can’t even tell you how good it was. But I will, IT WAS GREAT!
And then it was fire time, the hubbs is kind of an expert fire maker…. NBD!
Here are my 2 simple recipes for the veggies and steak!Print
Tri-Tip with Gorgonzola Herb Butter & Roasted Veggies
- 1/2 pound brussels sprouts, ends chopped of and cut in half
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or coconut oil, ghee, butter, etc)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Steak & Butter:
- 2 servings of Tri-Tip (Depending on how much you want!)
- 4 tablespoons of butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons of Gorgonzola
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried parsley
- Combine everything in a ziploc bag and shake well. If you are going camping, take the bag like that and toss it in your cooler
- When you are ready to cook, heat a skillet to medium high and add in your veggie mix. Cook, stirring often until brussel sprouts can be easily pierced with a fork.
Steak and Butter:
- In a small bowl combine butter, Gorgonzola and parsley and stir to combine well. If camping, pack up that in a small airtight container and throw in the cooler.
- When you are ready to cook, season steak with salt and pepper and place on grill. Cook until desired temp is reached! Once steak is done, transfer to a plate and scoop herb butter on top. Cover with tin foil and let sit for 10 minutes.