Roasted Root Vegetables with Dijon Vinaigrette
I love the farmers market. I try to go every Saturday morning even if I don’t think I need anything. The one in Laguna Beach is just about a half mile walk and I always meet the nicest people. Once I had some inspiration I walked down and found some stuff. I was talking to my mom about what I was going to post about this week before heading down and she suggested I take inspiration from the book I am reading. I am reading an amazing novel called ‘The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society’. It is written in letters back and forth between people in London and Guernsey post World War II. Guernsey is in the channel islands and was occupied by the Germans during the war. At one point in the story, the author described that Guernsey ran out of salt. In order to have any taste in food they had to boil their root vegetables in ocean water. If someone was to ask me “what is something you can’t live without?”, salt would probably not be my first thought. But when I think about it, just about everything you eat has salt on or in it. It definitely makes food better, and definitely makes veggies better!! A few other things make veggies down right delicious. Things like herbs, olive oil, vinegar & DIJON! First get your delicious roots cleaned and peeled.
Chop them up and toss them with all the good stuff.
Roast for 40 minutes and top with pecans and feta cheese.
I love these veggies!!
- 3 large carrots
- 1 large onion
- 2 large turnips
- 1 large yam
- 1 kholrahi
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 cup roasted pecans
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash and peel vegetables. Chops vegetables into bite sized pieces. In a large bowl combine vegetables with 2 tablespoons olive oil, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. In a separate bowl combine 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar and 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Pour vegetables onto a cookie sheet lined with foil. Place in oven and let roast for 40 minutes. While veggies are still warm, whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon dijon and season with salt and pepper. Pour vinaigrette over vegetables to coat. Top with pecans and feta. Serve warm.