How great are carbs? I am I right? Pretzels are my go-to carb. I have convinced myself they are way healthier than normal bread. I am aware this is untrue but I will believe what I want! Anywho… these pretzel rolls will knock your socks off. Perfectly crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside with the perfect sprinkle of salt on top. I won’t lie to you. I had 2. I’m not ashamed… it’s healthier than bread!!! And surprisingly easy to make!
First make your dough.
Then you need to wait for it to rise… then form them into rolls… then PLUNGE them into a boiling mixture of water and baking soda.
Then bake them, and voila!
Dijon is a must.
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 pkg yeast or 2 1/4 tsp
- 2 tabelspoons sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 2 quarts water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
- course sea salt (or pretzel salt)
- In a large mixing bowl combine warm water, yeast and sugar. Let stand 5 -10 minutes or until foamy. Add flour, salt, butter and mix until combined. Knead dough on a floured surface until it forms a ball of dough, you may need to add a little more flour. Cover with towel and set in warm place to rise for approx 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, place on a floured surface. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper sprayed lightly with cooking spray or a sil-pat. Cut dough into 8 even sized pieces. Shape each piece into a roll (about 2 inches x 5 inches). Place on baking sheet at least 1″ apart. Cover with a towel and let rise 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat over to 425. Place rack in middle positions. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil, add baking soda and lower heat to simmer. Put 3-4 rolls at a time into boiling water for 30 seconds, then turn over for another 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon to a clean towel. Then place back onto prepared pan.
- With a pastry brush, brush tops and sides of each roll with egg wash. Top each roll with course salt. Then with a sharp knife, make 3 cuts into the top of each roll. Bake rolls in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until buns are brown.
- Eat as is, with some dijon mustard, or as a bun for a sausage or sandwich.
We are participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
HONEY THESE ARE THE MONEY, as my Chef Friend Guy would say……He will love these, Dinners, Drive Inns and Dives…..I sent your father a great mustard dipping sauce for Pretzels and other super stuff from The FANCY FOOD SHOW, in his Birthday Box, Happy Birthday my dear loving brother Tim…. He should get the box today, for his Thursday Party Day. You are right on sweetie, everyone is serving Pretzel Rolls with their sandwich…and you smart girl have given them the recipe ……. OXXOXOXOOXO Aunt Melo
how many rolls does this recipe make?
Hi Frank! This makes about 8 rolls that are 5 inches long!