- 2 cups hazelnuts
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spread the hazelnuts out on a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and roast until dark brown and fragrant, 12 to 15 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer the hazelnuts to a medium-sized bowl with a flour sack dish towel.
- Once the hazelnuts are cool enough to handle, wrap the hazelnuts in the dish towel and rub the hazelnuts together to create friction so the skins will come off. This take awhile but it is important to remove all skins. You can also buy blanched hazelnuts instead and skip this whole step.
- Process the hazelnuts in a food processor until their oil is released and they form a smooth, loose paste, 2 to 5 minutes, scraping down the bowl often.
- Add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, canola oil, vanilla extract and salt and process until fully incorporated, scraping the bowl as needed, about 2 minutes. The mixture will loosen and become glossy. Transfer the spread to a jar with a tight-fitting lid or an airtight container. You can store it in the refrigerator or at room temperature for up to 1 month.