Grain Free Toasted Coconut Carrot Cake Loaf
I can’t even begin to tell you – though I will try – how excited I am about this recipe. First of all, I got it right on the first try. If you know about recipe testing paleo baked goods, you know this is a HUGE feat! I have an old carrot cake recipe on my site (from my indulgent days) that was my all time favorite. It is packed with sugar and vegetable oil and all the refined thing – so I knew making it over would be tough! I took the basic outline of the recipe and made all my healthy swaps while changing amounts of things until it came to a batter consistency I was happy with. Then I popped it in the oven and crossed all my limbs. And what do ya know – PERFECTION!!! And it got my mom’s seal of approval – which is tough to get with grain free baked goods! Something about all the shredded carrot and pineapple made this a moist cake without being too moist and doughy.
Now disclaimer – I did put a powdered sugar icing on top because it just needed a sweet topping in my opinion, but you can leave it off or use something like Simple Mills vanilla frosting or any other swap you like. I think a little powdered sugar never hurt anyone but if you are more strict with you diet (or just plain don’t want it in the house) YOU DO YOU!
The first time I made this cake matt and I devoured the whole thing in 3 days… that’s what happens when you leave a fork in the pan!!
After you have made this recipe and have some leftover Carrots, we suggest you make some of these recipes:
To save this Grain Free Toasted Coconut Carrot Cake recipe for later – pin the image below!
- 2 cups peeled and finely grated carrots
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted at room temp
- 1/3 cup almond milk + 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup arrowroot flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Topping: (optional)
- ½ cup toasted coconut
- ½ cup organic powdered sugar
- 3–4 tablespoons almond milk or coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, whisk together carrots, eggs, coconut sugar, coconut oil, almond milk + lemon juice, toasted coconut and pineapple.
- In another bowl, whisk together almond flour, arrowroot flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
- Stir flour mixture into carrot mixture until well combined.
- Grease loaf pan and add parchment paper to the pan as well. Pour batter into lined pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the pan comes out clean.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and almond or coconut milk and stir to combine until an icing forms. Spread icing over cake and top with remaining toasted coconut.