Gluten Free Tamale Pie
This Gluten Free Tamale Pie is so delicious and easy to make! Perfect for a weeknight with some precooked chicken or carnitas.
I am so excited about this Tamale Pie! I am always trying to make and figure out truly easy weeknight dinners and this hits the mark. Pre-cooked chicken or carnitas, mixed with enchilada sauce on top of a corn meal + oat flour crust that is studded with canned corn and green chilies. It’s a delish homemade meal that uses easy pre made short cuts that make this perfect for that weeknight when you don’t really feel like cooking. It’s also downright cozy and comforting which is always nice when it’s also healthy!
The other amazing thing about this recipe is again how versatile it is. Make it it completely dairy free by using dairy free milk and cheese, add jalapeños, onions and peppers to the cornbread to boost the flavor, or even add veggies to the chicken if you want more greens in your dinner. Cheddar cheese or a Mexican blend of cheese works great for the topping as well.
- Oat flour
- Gluten free corn meal
- Baking powder
- Avocado Oil
- Non dairy milk
- Diced green chilies
- Leftover carnitas, chicken
- Enchilada sauce
- Shedded cheese
Making Gluten Free Tamale Pie
- First preheat your oven to 400 degrees and decide if you want a 9×13 for a thiner cornbread base or a 8×8 pan for a thicker base, grease your chosen pan.
- In a bowl whisk together the oat flour, gluten free corn meal, baking powder and salt. Add the avocado oil, milk, egg and mix completely.
- Next add the drained canned corn, diced green chilies and mix again.
- Spread this mixture out in your chosen pan and bake for 20- 25 min. The cornbread will not be completely baked by the end of the 25 min but it should be set.
- Poke holes in the cornbread and pour 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce on top.
- Mix the remaining enchilada sauce with the carnitas or chicken (or any protein you choose) and pour on top of the cornbread and enchilada base and sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for an additional 10-15 min, remove foil for last 5 minutes to ensure cheese melts completely. Sprinkle with cilantro and enjoy!
If you need more quick, easy and also delicious weeknight dinner ideas, look no further:
- ⅔ cup oat flour
- ½ cup GF yellow corn meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- ⅓ cup non dairy milk (if dairy free)
- 1 egg
- 1 can corn
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 2 1/2 cup leftover carnitas, chicken
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese ( if not dairy free)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk oat flour, corn meal, baking powder and salt together. Add the oil, non-dairy milk and egg add to the dry ingredients and mix.
- Next add the drained corn and green chilies. Once all mixed, bake in a 8×8 or 9×13 pyrex (depending if you want a thicker cornbread or more thin.) Bake for 20-25 min until set.
- After it has cooked for 20-25 it will not be completely set, that’s okay. Poke holes in the tamale base and add 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce over the top.
- Then mix your chosen meat with the remaining enchilada sauce and add that on top of the cornbread and enchilada base. Finish with cheese if you are using it.
- Cover with foil and return to oven for 10-15 min. Remove foil for the last 5 min to ensure cheese is melted. Top with cilantro and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes