This Creamy Caramelized Onion & Rosemary Chicken is a simple and tasty instant pot recipe that can easily be made in a slow cooker as well!
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream*
- 2 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder + 1 tbsp water*
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl combine chicken stock, heavy cream, rosemary and salt.
- Place your instant pot on saute and once it is hot add in oil and onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes. Add in ½ tsp salt and 1 tsp maple syrup and cook for another 8 minutes until caramelized. Then add in garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add in balsamic vinegar and stir to combine, then turn the instant pot off.
- To the instant pot, add chicken and chicken stock mixture. Put the lid on, make sure it is in the sealing position, then turn the instant pot on manual high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Once the time is up, turn the knob on top to venting and let the pressure release.
- Open it up and use tongs to remove the chicken to a plate or cutting board and shred it.
- Turn the instant pot to saute and wait until the sauce begins to boil. Pour in the arrowroot mixture and whisk quickly to thicken the sauce. Once the sauce is thickened, turn off the instant pot and add back in the shredded chicken. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- This chicken is great served on mashed sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, pasta, or a side to any veggie & starch!
- To make this dairy free, use 1/2 cup chicken stock & 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- Corn starch works in the place of arrowroot powder
- Chicken thighs work as well.
- SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS:
- Place a pan over medium heat and follow the saute instructions in that pan. Pour caramelized onions in the slow cooker with the chicken stock mixture and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.