- 4 pitted medjool dates
- 1 cup almond flour (use 3/4 cup coconut flour + 1/4 cup flaxseed meal to make nut free)
- ½ cup shredded coconut (use 1/2 cup flaxseed meal to make coconut free)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted and cooled (2 tablespoons if making nut free)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (2 tablespoons if making nut free)
- Pinch of salt
- 4 frozen chopped bananas
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk, shaken (or 1/4 cup almond milk if you can’t have coconut)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- A few slices of fresh banana
- Some fresh blueberries
- In a food processor combine dates, almond flour, shredded coconut, vanilla, coconut oil, maple syrup and salt.
- Process until dates have broken down and the crust can be pinched together and hold.
- Lightly grease a springform pan with some coconut oil and pour the crust into the pan and press into one even layer.
- Place in freezer for at least 10 minutes to harden.
- In a food processor combine frozen chopped bananas, frozen blueberries, coconut milk, vanilla and maple syrup.
- Blend until there are no chunks and it is nice and creamy.
- Take the crust out of the freezer and add the “nice cream” on top on it, spread it out in one smooth layer and add toppings.
- Place back in the freezer for at least 30 minutes until frozen through.
- Before opening the springform pan run a butter knife around the outside edge so the pan releases easily!
- To freeze the bananas: slice banana before freezing and freeze them in a single layer on a baking sheet making sure the pieces don’t touch each other.
- A trick for coconut milk: The full fat coconut milk usually separates a but between the thick cream at the top and the liquid. If yours does this, Pour it all into a mason jar and microwave for about 30 seconds to a minute then add a lid on the jar and shake it to combine. Then let it cool to room temperature before adding to the recipe!
- If you want to remove maple syrup, omit it from the crust and add an extra date. You can also just omit it from the Nice Cream part.
- I have highlighted some alternatives as there was a large request for them but the original recipe is definitely the most delicious way to eat this!