Avocado Pesto Roasted Artichokes
These Avocado Pesto Roasted Artichokes have been a LONG time coming. Remember when Matt and I went on that California Coast road trip last summer? Well it was incredible and we can’t wait to do it again. We drove up the coast from Long Beach to San Francisco and the beauty on that drive was unreal. For our stretch between Big Sur and Santa Cruz, we passed fields and fields of plants that were beautiful and we had no idea what was growing there. I kept thinking it was pineapples until Matt yelled, ARTICHOKES!!! We finally saw a sign and then I was so intrigued!! You can google “artichoke plant” to see what they look like, OR you can win a trip to go see them yourselves!! I am partnering with Ocean Mist Farms, who just so happen to own those artichoke farms we passed by in Castroville, CA, to tell you guys all about the Artichoke Food & Wine Festival! You can enter the sweepstakes HERE and win money towards a plane flight, hotel, rental car, and tickets to the event. You can stay in near by Monterey, which is GORG and drive down to see beautiful Big Sur too! GAH it makes me want to go back so bad.
Okay so now that you have entered the sweepstakes (you only have till March 31st!), it’s time to tell you about this recipe! My favorite way to eat an artichoke is the old fashioned dipping the leaves in something delicious, so I thought it was time avocados, pesto & artichokes came together to party. I made this pesto super simple and clean with just avocado, garlic, walnuts, basil and lemon juice! It blends together in no time while your artichokes roast in the oven and it’s the perfect appetizer to have out for guests or just to snack on solo! I love that artichokes create their own bowl once you remove the ‘choke! Hello less clean up?! YAS.
Just plop the pesto into the little bowl of the artichoke and voila! Done!
This post is sponsored by Ocean Mist Farms! I was compensated and all opinions are 100% my own. Thank you so much for supporting Little Bits Of!
We are big time Avocado fans here, we have liked a few of our favorites:
Buffalo Turkey Burger w/ Avocado Ranch Sauce
Charred Cumin Sweet Potato & Avocado Tacos w/ Lime Crema
Time to pin these Avocado Pesto Roasted Artichokes to save for later!
Avocado Pesto Roasted Artichokes
- 4–5 small Ocean Mist artichokes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small avocados or 1 1/2 large avocados
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
- Sun dried tomatoes (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice Artichokes in half length wise and drizzle the open end with olive oil. Place the open end down on a foil lined baking sheet then place another piece of foil on top of them and press it down. Roast for 30-40 minutes or until fork tender. Once they are done scoop out the “choke” which is that fuzzy part in the middle, and discard.
- In a food processor combine avocados, walnuts, garlic, basil, lemon juice & salt. Blend on high until walnuts have broken down and pesto is creamy and thick. Scoop the pesto into the bowl area of the artichoke where the choke was removed. Top with some sun dried tomatoes and enjoy!
I have never bought an artichoke. How can I tell if it is ripe?
You don’t eat them raw so any of them at the store should be good to go!!
So you’re just eating the leaves and dipping into the sauce right? Like a regular steamed/grilled whole artichoke?
You just eat the end of the leaves! Here is an instructional on how to eat artichokes: http://artichokes.org/how-to-eat
Yes its just like a steamed or grilled artichoke, only its roasted!