Apple Coffee Cake (paleo)
Chilly mornings, hot coffee, and the perfect Apple Coffee Cake to round it all out.
Sweet sweet apple, our favorite fall fruit. Eat it out of your hand, pair it with some cheese, dip it in a sweet caramel, chop to add to the top of a salad or even better cover with sugar and butter and flour and make into a coffee cake. This paleo coffee cake has been perfected to have just the right amount of sweetness without going overboard. It can be the perfect addition to a morning cup of coffee, after school snack or even a light evening treat.
This cake is usually baked in a loaf pan but can also be baked in an 8×8 pan or a round cake pan. The joy about this cake is that it comes together in a few easy steps, don’t be alarmed by the three separate sections. Mix the cake base together and spread on the bottom of your desired baking dish. Next toss together the and spices for the filling while the apples and water simmer on the stovetop. The topping mixture will be get mixed in its own bowl and set off to the side. Once the apple mixture has come together spread that out on the base layer already in the baking dish. Add the rest of the base layer and finished with the topping. These layer create the perfect bite of fluffy cake and sweet cinnamon apples.
Is there coffee in coffee cake?
Nope, this recipe is coffee free. There are many recipes with coffee in them, but most are called coffee cake because they are paired with coffee as a morning snack.
What types of apples should I use?
With most baked apple desserts it’s best to use tart apples such as granny smith, or any green apple you have. It’s equally nice to add a few red delicious, gala or honeycrisp to even out the tart and add a touch of sweetness to the cake.
Should this coffee cake be refrigerated?
As with most baked goods if you are not going to be eating it right away make sure you keep it an airtight container. If you are not going to eat it for a few days you can store it in the fridge until you are ready to eat it. If you are saving it, cool it and then store in an airtight container in the freezer.
The perfect coffee cake needs to have a few other yummies to complete the meal:
This Apple Coffee Cake is paleo and made with almond flour and coconut sugar for sweetness!
- 2 cup blanched almond flour
- ½ cup arrowroot flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ½ cup ghee, melted
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups peeled & chopped apples
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp melted ghee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8×8 pyrex pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl combine the cake ingredients and whisk to combine.
- For the filling, in a medium saucepan combine apples and water and bring to a boil then reduce heat. Simmer, covered for about 5 minutes until apple are tender.
- In a small bowl combine ¼ cup coconut sugar, 1 tsp. arrowroot, 1 tsp cinnamon and ½ tsp nutmeg. Pour that into the apple mixture and stir, cooking until thickened and bubbly.
- In a separate smaller bowl combine the topping ingredients into a crumble mixture.
- Pour ½ of the cake batter into the prepared pan and spread out evenly. Then take the apple filling and and sprinkle it evenly over the batter.
- Scoop the rest of the batter on top of that and spread it out evenly and finish it by sprinkling the topping mixture evenly on top.
- Bake the coffee cake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean (or with small crumbles).
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes