Whole30 Twice Baked Chipotle Chicken Sweet Potatoes with Cashew Lime Crema
Stuffing sweet potatoes seems to be a hobby of mine so you know these Twice Baked Chipotle Chicken Sweet Potatoes were just dying to make it on the blog! I am super excited to take over the @whole30recipes instagram page next week and have been making fun whole30 recipes to share, including this one. The simplicity of it is just what you need when you’re doing a whole30 and the fact you can prep them on Sunday and eat them all week is a gift! I also made this epic little cashew lime crema that you don’t even need to soak the cashews for, just let that baby blend. I still kinda can’t get over how dang versatile nuts are and it seems like we are just now figuring this out. How did we live life before cashew cheesecakes and almond dips?!
I guess we just ate more dairy then we do now… or we just missed out on creamy goodness? Either way, we are better off now! For this recipe all you have to do is roast the sweet potatoes then mixed the flesh with some shredded chicken, spices and salsa, then stuff them back in the skins and bake a bit longer. So so simple. Now let’s hear all about why sweet potatoes rock from Catherine!
Twice Baked Chipotle Chicken Sweet Potatoes Nutrition:
Relatively lower in calories, the sweet potato is jam packed with nutrition compared to other root veggies. 1 cup of sweet potato with the skin on contains ~180 calories, 41.8 g of carbs, 4 g protein, 0.3 g of fat, 6.6 g of fiber. Although they are low in calories, this starch truly helps you feel full because it has a lot of fiber in just one serving. The recommended amount of fiber for the average adult is 25-30 g /day and maintaining this level of intake can actually lower your risk of colon cancer, help manage weight and promote normal gut function. There are two types of fiber in foods- soluble and insoluble and sweet potatoes actually contain both! Soluble fiber is the kind that absorbs water and helps move things along the GI tract. Insoluble fiber does not absorb water and adds bulk in the GI. Both are essential to having a healthy gut. Because of the ability to support gut health, this can actually also assist with immunity since the GI is directly associated with your immune system strength. If you are trying to decide if you should make a white potato vs a sweet potato, just know aside from the fibers, sweet potatoes are also higher in antioxidants, Vitamin A and many other nutrients compared to the white!
If you love this recipe you will love these other recipe:
Pin the image below to share this Twice Baked Chipotle Chicken Sweet Potatoes recipe for later!
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups of cooked, shredded chicken breast
- ⅓ cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup dry roasted cashews
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with foil and add sweet potatoes to the pan.
- Pierce sweet potatoes about 4-6 times all over with a fork and bake them for 50-70 minutes or a fork can easily be pierced all the way through. (the time varies so much depending on the size of your sweet potato).
- When the sweet potatoes are almost done, place a skillet over medium heat.
- Once warm, add oil to the pan along with onion and garlic.
- Saute for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Once sweet potatoes are cooked, slice them in half lengthwise and scoop out most of the flesh, leaving a small layer so it can maintain its shape.
- In a large bowl combine sweet potato flesh, cooked onion and garlic, shredded chicken, salsa and chipotle powder.
- Mix thoroughly to combine, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Scoop mixture back into the sweet potato skins and place them back into the 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- To make cashew lime crema, combine cashews, hot water and lime juice in a blender and blend on for about 3 minutes, or until smooth and creamy. Season with salt to taste.
- Drizzle crema on sweet potatoes and enjoy!