Paleo Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Hearty, warm and lots of great protein has this Paleo Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes on repeat all autumn.
My obsession with sweet potatoes goes back many years when I did my first Whole 30 and realized what versatile and yummy veggies there were. Before I ventured off into my first Whole 30 my idea of potatoes was that they were all bad and had too many starches, but as with most foods time and research changed the game. I love how you can use sweet potatoes for savory things like Maple Thyme Roasted Sweet Potato as well as Sweet Potato Cinnamon Cheesecake, we all know brussel sprouts are not that creative.
This is a classic chili recipe that we have paired with the cooked sweet potato, that way no one gets outshined and each bite can have a perfect pairing of both sweet potato and chili. The chili comes together rather quickly with the meat being browned in a skillet for 5-8 minutes, next adding all the tomato paste, tomatoes and spices and getting everything mixed all together. The sweet potatoes cook in a 400 degree oven for almost an hour, you will know they are done when you can spear it with a fork and it goes in easily.
If you would like to really jazz this dinner up feel free to add all the usual topping you would add to a baked potato to the top of the chili. This means sour cream, cheese, chives, maybe s0me bacon bites. The options are endless with this meal whether you are fixing this for a crowd or just prepping for yourself for meals for the week, this paleo chili stuffed sweet potatoes are just perfect.
Can I substitute the ground beef?
Yes, you can use ground turkey or ground chicken in place on the ground beef.
Do I need to soak my sweet potatoes before cooking them?
No, when you cook the sweet potato whole in the oven they do not need to be soaked in water. Feel free to rinse them off before you stab them, but no nead to soak them.
If you love these sweet potatoes we have tons more recipes:
Pin the image below to save this Paleo Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes recipe for later!
Nutrition for Paleo Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
As many of you know, sweet potatoes are full of so many nutrients and super high in Vitamin C and Vitamin A. They also have a bit more fiber than normal potatoes; coming in at 6.2g per serving – the adult recommendation for fiber is 25-30 g per day so this is about 15% of those needs. This recipe for Paleo Stuffed Sweet Potatoes is a great low calorie option mid week and is super fast. Check out the nutrition info below!Print
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can diced and fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped Parsley (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pierce sweet potatoes 5-8 times with a fork. Place them on a foil lined baking sheet and roast for 45-55 minutes or until they are super fork tender. Remove and set aside.
- Place a pan over medium high heat and add oil to the pan.
- Add ground beef to the pan and cook, breaking up the meat, until it is cooked through (about 5-8 minutes).
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, water, chili powder, garlic powder and paprika and stir to combine. Let simmer for 5 minutes for all the flavors to combine and thicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice sweet potatoes down the middle and scoop in chili!