Chipotle Lentil Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Okay granted this is not the most beautiful dish you will make. But TRUST ME!!! It is soooo tasty! Because my husband is an EMT, he works 24 hour shifts and I spend a few dinners a week cooking for one. My go-to easy dinner for one is sweet potatoes!! They are so easy to cook, packed with nutrients and fill me up perfectly. I have topped my sweet potatoes with everything from cherry tomatoes and hummus, to black beans, corn & salsa, and everything in between. I am writing this post after I just ate this exact dish for dinner. I may have scooped up every last lentil on my plate and I’m not mad about it. I love the addition of lentils to my sweet potato dinner because they add a nice contrast in texture, as well as a protein punch! I used green lentils for this and cooked them in vegetable broth, lime juice, chipotles and lots of spice! As for the sweet potato, I just pop mine in the microwave! And obviously… lots of guac on top. These are the kind of meals I have then say “I could TOTALLY be a vegetarian!!!” That last about 1/2 a day but better than nothing I say! So before you dismiss this recipes because green lentils aren’t pretty… give it a try! Also, talk about a meal on a budget….
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- ½ cup green or black lentils
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 minced chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of the adobo sauce, divided
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- guacamole to top!
- Use a fork to poke holes in sweet potatoes. Then wrap them each in a damp paper towel and microwave until fork tender (about 5-7 minutes). Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine lentils, broth, chipotle, 1 tablespoon of adobe sauce, lime juice, salt, cumin & coriander. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer until cooked but not mushy (about 25 minutes). Once cooked, add 1 more tablespoon of adobe sauce if you want more spice. Season a bit more to taste.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and top with lentils and guacamole.