Whole30 BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole
Earlier this month I shared a recipe for a Whole30 Cheeseburger Casserole and it went CRAZY on the interwebs. It’s easy to make and tastes like a classic in n out burger (the best burgers ever). So then I thought up the next best burger – BBQ Bacon!! Ideally this would also be covered in onion rings but in an effort to make this an easy meal, I left the off. Now tell me, you’ve had a Western Bacon Cheeseburger from Carl’s Jr right? That is the vibe i’m going for here and it nails it. You can use any BBQ sauce if you don’t mind it not being Whole30 but if you do want it Whole30 then you can use Primal Kitchen’s BBQ sauce! If you don’t mind a little added sugar, I love Stubb’s BBQ sauce because they have simple ingredients and lower sugar than most. So if you are a BBQ burger lover – make this and you’re whole family will be SO pumped!
You can use iceberg or romaine to top this bad boy!
Casserole dinners that are good for you, sign us up!
Nutrition Facts: Who doesn’t live a cheeseburger?
Only problem is the aftermath feeling and not to mention the overload of sodium that usually comes with eating one! The nice thing about this recipe is – well its healthy! A typical dine our cheeseburger ranges from 1500-2300 mg of sodium depending where you are, that is about 60-100% of the recommended daily intake for sodium. The Whole 30 Cheeseburger Casserole recipe comes in at less than 35% the RDI for sodium, and you can even cut that down if you like by modifying this recipe! There are benefits to meeting the RDI for sodium daily; Sodium is a mineral that’s essential for life. It’s regulated in the body by your kidneys, and it helps control your body’s fluid balance. It also helps send nerve impulses and affects muscle function.Print
- 8 slices of bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1 ¼ cups bbq sauce*
- ¼ cup chopped pickles
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb frozen hash browns (shredded)
- 1 cup cashews
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 cups chopped romaine or iceberg lettuce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a large pan over medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add in the bacon and cook until slightly crispy, then set aside and chop.
- Pour all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat out of the pan and return it to the stove.
- Add onion to the 1 tablespoon of remaining bacon fat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the ground beef and cook for 5-7 minutes, breaking it apart until it is browned.
- Then add in the drained chopped tomatoes, bbq sauce and pickles. Stir and bring to a simmer, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in the chopped bacon.
- In a blender combine cashews, water and nutritional yeast and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish, pour frozen hash browns on the bottom in an even layer and toss with ½ teaspoon salt.
- Top the hash browns with ground beef mixture and spread evenly. Then drizzle on the cashew cheese in an even layer. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with thinly sliced lettuce before serving.