Whole Wheat Pumpkin Biscuits
These Whole Wheat Pumpkin Biscuits are a simple and fun recipe to make for a side dish or my personal fave – a breakfast sandwich! These would be great for any fall morning but with Halloween coming up this weekend they would be great for that morning. Pumpkin itself actually doesn’t have a huge amount of flavor, it has a basic flavor that usually is made with spices, but for this recipes it is mostly used as a binder and adds a slight orange color to the biscuits that is just perfect. These are also great with with some turkey and mustard for an evening snack.
These biscuits come together extremely quickly in a single bowl and a floured surfaced. Step by step directions below!
How to make Whole Wheat Pumpkin Biscuits
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- In a bowl combine whole wheat flour, coconut sugar baking powder and salt
- Next cut your butter or vegan butter into 1 inch cubes, from here you can either use your fingers, pastry cutter or food processor to break the butter into pea size
- In a separate bowl mix pumpkin and milk alternative and mix
- Mix the wet ingredients into the butter and flour mixture, do not over mix just until combined and no flour is remaining
- The dough may be sticky and that’s okay, make sure you are using a floured surface
- Roll the dough out until it’s about an inch thick
- You can wither use a 2 in round cookie or biscuit cutter, you can also just cut them out into the desired biscuit sizes
- Arrange the biscuits on a cookie sheet, brush with melted butter and dust with flaky sea salt
- Bake for 12-14 min or until golden brown
- These are great right out of the oven, you can also freeze them for later and pop them on the oven to warm up
Here are a few yummy dishes to pair with the Whole Wheat Pumpkin Biscuits:
- 2 ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- ¾ cup milk (dairy or dairy free)
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- Flaking sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees fahrenheit
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, salt.
- Scattered cubed butter over, using your fingers or a pastry cutter to break up the butter into pea size.
- In a small bowl mix together pumpkin and milk alternative, stir into dry ingredients just until soft dough forms.
- Turn on floured surface, pat out to a 1 inch thickness, use a 2-in round cutter, stamp out biscuit. Arrange on pan, brush with melted butter, sprinkle with sea salt
- Bake for 12-14 min until golden brown.