Healthier Star Crunch
This Healthier Star Crunch recipe was inspired by my childhood love for little debby star crunch! They were sooo good. A caramel mixture tossed with crisp rice and coated with chocolate, it’s my dream dessert! So once I made my healthier samoa bars and had a delicious dairy free caramel recipe in my repertoire, this recipe popped in my mind. I whipped them up once with a combination of ingredients I had about a week ago then waited another week to get all of the right ingredients to make them! I am limiting my trips to the grocery store so when I finally went this weekend I stocked up on all of the baking ingredients and things I would need to make these! Lots of coconut sugar and ghee and I had also gotten the Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk in a 6 pack on amazon.
This quarantine has me eating dessert pretty much after every meal and having these on hand has greatly improved my mood. I also gave ruthie one to try before adding the chocolate and she was obsessed! She has the same love of food I have and wants to try everything I am eating. She always looks at me with the cutest face and says “try? :)” It is so so sweet! She sure is hard to say no to. So join me in making this treat and be transported back to the little debby days!!
The caramel is the perfect consistency!
Once you have made these yummy treats here are a few more recipes with caramel in them!
Date Caramel & Peanut Butter Chocolates
Greek Yogurt Cheese Caramel Dip
Pin the image below to save this Healthier Star Crunch recipe for later!
Healthier Star Crunch
- Total Time: 10
- Yield: 30 1x
- ½ cup ghee, melted
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup sweetened condensed coconut milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups rice krispies
- 2 ½ cups semi sweet chocolate chips (i use enjoy life)
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil (refined for no coconut flavor)
- In a microwave safe bowl combine ghee, honey, coconut sugar, sweetened condensed coconut milk and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine and microwave for 4 minutes on high.
- Remove from the microwave and add in vanilla extract then stir.
- Add in 4 cups of rice krispies , 1 cup at a time and stir until they are completely coated in the caramel.
- Line 2-3 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and scoop a little less than t 1/4 cup of the mixture at a time into little patties. This will make about 30 star crunch but you can make them any size you like! Place them in the fridge to set up for at least 15 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil together in the microwave in 30 second increments until melted.
- Drop the star crunch into the chocolate and toss to coat, using a fork to pick them up and shake off the excess chocolate on the edge of the bowl. Place each one back onto the lined baking sheet and place in the fridge to harden.
- Store in the refrigerator in a bag or airtight container!
- Prep Time: 10
These look just AMAZING!!! I can’t eait to try them out with my kids! They bought love to get in the kitchen with me and make messes
That is great to hear!
Looks so good!!
I have to try these…look delicious! (and perfect for my two grandsons that have food allergies.)
I think I”ll be eating a few myself!
What can we use if we don’t have sweetened condensed coconut milk? I can’t find it.
You can use regular sweetened condensed milk but that is the only swap. It is on amazon or at sprouts or whole foods!
Amazing!!! So easy to make, I know the ingredients going into it and it’s a nice treat for the kids.
So glad to hear!
Quick, easy, delicious!!!!!
The best combo!
Amazing!! We added a lil dollop of crunchy peanut butter on top then cooled, and then covered w/ chocolate!! AMAZING!!! Found the sweetened condensed coconut milk at wal-mart!
wowww great idea!!
Made them with my 3 yo and completely forgot the coconut sugar, but they still turned out delicious. Also was able to sub coconut oil for ghee without an issue.
Oh good to know!!
Made them. Ate them. Loved them. Will make again ASAP. 10/10 for sure
That is awesome!
These were so much fun to make and so good! Happy to have a healthier treat in the house especially during the pandemic when I’m snacking more than usual.
These are absolutely perfect! I had no trouble finding any of the ingredients locally and the recipe was so easy to follow. I made them for my mom for Mother’s Day and everyone loved them!
These is a great dessert. I froze them and just took them out as I want a treat. They thaw pretty quickly.