Gingerbread Chia Seed Waffles
If you know me you know I am a huge fan of breakfast. During the week I have two small breakfasts. One at about 7:30 on the way to work (usually a smoothie), and the other at about 10 AM to hold me over till lunch (usually either avocado toast or oatmeal). On the weekends we love to go get Acai bowls at our favorite juice place down the street or go get a tasty omelette at one of the many breakfast joints in town. It isn’t until around Thanksgiving when it dips below 65 and I want warm waffles or pancakes for every breakfast! I also want gingerbread flavored EVERYTHING! I have tried to make all whole wheat waffles before and they were a bit BLEH. So for this recipe I did half whole wheat and half oat flour and it worked wonders! And I added chia seeds because they are incredible for you, packed with nutrients and you can’t even taste them! They are just little health bombs you can sneak in and feel good about. I also added applesauce in place of any butter or oil and used almond milk instead of regular (just a personal preference). The thing I liked most about these was that I froze the leftovers and popped them in the toaster later that week. Being able to toast a healthy waffle, slather it with almond butter and take it on the way to work is pretty incredible! Oh and topping them with whipped cream on the weekends is pretty cool too. 🙂 Want to watch me make these? Another video is below!!
Gingerbread is what holiday miracles are made of. Trust me on this.
Don’t act like you’re not impressed…….
Need more breakfast inspiration, we have you covered:
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup oat flour (I just put oats in a blender to make this!)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 1/2 cups milk (regular, almond, or any you like!)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Combine both flours, baking powder, salt, coconut sugar, ginger, cloves & cinnamon in a medium bowl. In a smaller bowl combine milk, egg, applesauce & molasses and stir until blended. Add both wet and dry ingredients together then add in chia seeds and stir to combine. Cook the waffles in a waffle iron per the irons instructions. Mine took about 5 minutes to cook through. Enjoy!