Lemon Pound Cake w/ Blueberry Swirl
Yay for daylight savings!!! I absolutely love when the sun stays up late. It makes me feel like I can be so much more productive. It is a little sad how unproductive I can be once the sun goes down. These few months of sunny days before summer will be perfect for getting nice and bikini ready. Going to the gym when it is still sunny out after work will be a lot easier. I am now all about the gym during the week. And on the weekend? I am all about cake. This cake was very easy to throw together and so delish. Lemon and blueberry are the perfect combo. First make your batter and add it to a buttered and floured bundt or angel food cake pan. Then make a well for the blueberry sauce.
Add that beautiful sauce!
Swirl it up…
Add more batter.
Swirl again then bake!
Pour icing over cake!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups cups unbleached flour + teaspoon salt, sifted
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or thawed frozen blueberries
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons +2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat an oven to 325 degrees F. Butter and flour a bundt pan. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric beater until the mixture is pale and creamy, about 5 minutes. Beat in the lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until just combined after each addition. Fold in the flour and salt mixture in 2 batches, mixing after each addition until well combined. Be careful not to over mix. Spoon half of the batter into the bundt pan. Create a well in the batter and spoon in blueberry mixture. Take a butter knife and swirl blueberry sauce into batter. Top with the rest of the batter and swirl again. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a skewer poked into the cake comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and lemon juice. Stir until combined. Pour icing over cooled cake.
- To make blueberry sauce:
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, blueberries, lemon juice and zest in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes. Then pour mixture into a blender and blend on low for 30 seconds. Let cool before adding to cake.