- 1 1/2 cups cashews (soaked for 1–8 hours)
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5 cups frozen hash browns (separated)
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a blender combine soaked and drained cashews, water, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast. Blend on high until smooth and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add oil to the pan. Then add in 4 ½ cups of the hash browns and cook stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes or just until they are tender. Place them in a bowl then add the onion and garlic to the pan. Cook onion and garlic for 5 minutes until tender and add them to the bowl with the potatoes.
- Then pour the cashew cheese mixture over the potatoes and toss to coat. Pour that into a 8×8 pyrex dish. Bake for 15 minutes. While that bakes, place a skillet over medium high heat and add remaining 3 tablespoons of oil to the pan. Then add in remaining ½ cup of hash browns to the pan in separate pieces and fry them for a few minutes of each side until golden brown.
- When casserole is done, add crispy potatoes on top and enjoy!