- 3 cups frozen cherries
- 1/4 cup water
- zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot
- 3 cups almond meal
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (at room temp)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor combine all crust ingredients until it comes together in a sticky ball. Grease an 8×8 inch pan with coconut oil and press 2/3 of the crust mixture into the bottom of the pan into an even layer. Bake crust for 10 minutes and then set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine cherries, water, lemon juice, zest and maple syrup. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in cornstarch and let simmer for another 5-10 minutes or until thickened. Pour filling onto the crust in an even layer. Crumble remaining dough in little pieces all over the filling. Bake for another 15 minutes. Let sit for at least 30 minutes before cutting and removing bars from the pan.
- **To make vegan: replace egg with 1/4 cup of ground flaxseed mixed with 2 tablepoons of water.