- Whole Turkey
- Salt for dry brine (amount in instructions)
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp chopped sage
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 apple, chopped in quarters
- 1 small onion, chopped in quarters
- 2 days before you are going to cook the turkey, make sure it is defrosted. Use about 1 tablespoon of salt per 5lbs of turkey and rub it on the skin, under the skin and inside the cavity of the turkey.
- Then wrap the turkey up tight in plastic wrap and store it in the fridge until you are ready to cook and pat it dry.
- In a small bowl combine ghee, rosemary, garlic sage and 1 tsp salt. Take that mixture and rub it all over the turkey and under the skin.
- Stuff the apple and onion inside the turkey.
- When you are ready to cook it, set the Traeger to 225℉ and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes.
- Place the turkey in a roasting pan and place directly on the grill grate. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 100-110℉.
- Increase the temperature on the grill to 350℉ and continue to cook until a meat thermometer registers 160℉ when inserted in the thickest part of the turkey breast, about 3 to 4 hours total cook time.
- Turkey will continue to cook when you take it off grill to reach a final temperature of 165℉ in the breast.
- Remove the bird from the grill and let rest for at least 15 minutes before carving. Enjoy!
- All turkeys range so much in size so exact times are hard! Our 12 lb turkey took about 2- 2.5 hours to get to 110, then another 3.5 hours to get to 160.