- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- .75 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/3 cups flaked sweetened coconut
- 6 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut, toasted
- Line muffin cups with paper baking cups (or make your own out of tin foil!) and set aside. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat together the sugar and butter on medium speed for about 3 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Turn the mixer speed to low, and add the eggs one at a time, beating on medium high 1 minute after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and almond extract. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk alternately to the butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Add in the 1 1/3 cups of coconut. Once it is combined, scoop enough batter into each cupcake liner so it is almost full (these don’t puff up too much during baking). Bake for 22-28 minutes (depending on the size of your tins) until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool.
- Combine all frosting ingredients except for the coconut in a mixing bowl and beat until well combined. Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes then sprinkle with toasted coconut!
- *note: to make toasted coconut, place coconut on a cookie sheet spread into an even layer and place in an oven with the broiler on high. Stay close as watch as it begins to brown, take out once golden, this stuff burns fast!