- 1 1/4 cups slivered almonds
- 1 3/4 cups coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips*
- optional: flakey sea salt to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Lay slivered almonds on a baking sheet and spread them out evenly. Bake for 7-10 minute or until lightly browned on top.
- Line a 13 x 9 pyrex dish with parchment paper. I like to spray the dish with oil first so the parchment paper sticks to it.
- Pour 3/4 cup of the roasted almonds into the bottom of the 13 x 9.
- In a medium sauce pan (about 2.5 qt), combine coconut sugar, water, ghee, and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Place that pan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Use a candy or meat thermometer to keep track of the temperature and once it hits 295 degrees, remove it from the heat and add in the vanilla and baking soda.
- The ghee might be separating from the sugar a bit but just continue to whisk quickly, then pour it over the almonds in the prepared dish and use a rubber spatula to evenly distribute the toffee.
- Let it sit for about 3-5 minutes, then you will want to take a paper towel and just lightly dab the top of the toffee to remove any excess ghee that separated to the top.
- Melt your chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second increments until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate over the toffee, then spread it evenly with the back of a spoon.
- Immediately sprinkle on some flakey sea salt to your liking then sprinkle on the remaining toasted almonds.
- Let set either at room temperate or in the fridge if you are in a rush!
- I use enjoy life chocolate chips to keep this dairy free.