- 8 slices bacon
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 lb orzo
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ cups original nut pods*
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Place a dutch oven or 3 ½ quart skillet over medium high heat.
- Once the pan is hot add bacon and cook until crispy or to your liking and set aside.
- Add chopped onion to the bacon grease and cook, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then add in the orzo. Toss to combine and lightly brown the orzo for 2 minutes.
- Add in water, nut pods, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Raise heat to high and boil, stirring frequently so the orzo doesn’t stick, until orzo is al dente and the liquid has nearly evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the orzo cooks, chop your bacon.
- Once done cooking, turn off the heat and add in chopped bacon and lemon juice and stir to combine.
- You can use full fat coconut milk if you can’t find nut pods.
- You can also use whole milk instead of nut pods if you can tolerate dairy.
- If you want it to be a full meal you can also add in chopped chicken sausage when you add in the liquid.