- 1 ½ cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cup brown rice crisp cereal
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (65 grams) mini chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line bottom and sides of a 8-inch or 9-inch square pan with aluminum foil. Then lightly oil or spray with cooking spray.
- Add oats and almonds to a small baking sheet then bake 5 minutes, stir and bake another 3 to 5 minutes until lightly toasted. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Combine honey, coconut oil, coconut sugar, vanilla extract and the salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until honey melts and the coconut sugar completely dissolves.
- Pour mixture into bowl with toasted oats, almonds and cereal. Mix well. Let cool about 5 minutes then add 1/4 cup of the mini chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
- Transfer oat mixture to lined pan then use a rubber spatula or parchment paper to firmly press the mixture into the pan.
- Scatter remaining 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips over pressed granola mixture then use a rubber spatula to gently press them into the top. Cover then refrigerate at least 2 hours. Remove block of granola mixture from pan then peel away aluminum foil. Cut into 12 bars.
- Store bars in an airtight container for up to one week. For the soft bars, keep at room temperature (if you house is warm they might fall apart a bit). For slightly harder bars, store in the fridge (this is what I did!).