These Homemade Flour Tortillas are super easy to make with just flour, butter, water and salt!
- 3 cups (360 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (76 grams) room temperature butter
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 cup room temperature water
- extra flour for rolling
- In a bowl combine flour, butter and salt.
- With a rubber spatula or in a mixer with a dough hook, press the butter into the flour, stirring to combine and disperse the butter.
- Slowly add water to the mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time.
- When you have added all of the water, the dough should come together and be a bit shaggy.
- Dump that out onto your counter or a cutting board and knead it for a minute to bring it all together and combine in all of the flour.
- Once dough has come together, wrap it in plastic wrap and let sit for 20 minutes so the gluten can relax.
- When the dough is ready, sprinkle a light flour on your work surface and remove the dough from the wrap.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces for large tortillas and 18 pieces for medium (this is the size I did in the photos). Take each piece and roll them into balls.
- Sprinkle some more flour down before rolling each ball out. You want them to be pretty thin so you can see through it slightly.
- Place a pan over medium high heat. Any pan should work for this but I prefer to use a cast iron skillet.
- Once the pan has preheated for a few minutes, spray it lightly with a little bit of oil (not too much or they will fry).
- Try to brush off the excess flour on the tortilla before adding it to the pan. Cook for about 45-60 seconds them flip over. You just want to see some small brown spots, don’t leave it too long or it will not be pliable!
- Cook them one at a time and store in a hand towel or tortilla warmer until you are ready to eat!
- This dough can be made ahead of time and stored in plastic wrap (wrapped up tightly) in the fridge for up to 5 days. When you want to use the dough, let it sit out and come to room temperature before continuing to roll them out as instructed.
- If you don’t eat all of the tortillas, place them in an air tight container and store them in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave in a slightly damp paper towel for 10 seconds, or reheat on the stovetop.