- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup unsulphured molasses
- In a large bowl, sift or whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and spices.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and molasses and beat until well combined. Gradually add the flour mixture beating until incorporated.
- Divide the dough in half, and wrap each half in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (at least two hours or even overnight).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place rack in center of oven. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. Use a gingerbread cutter to cut out the cookies. With an offset spatula lift the cookies onto the baking sheet, placing about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for about 8 – 12 minutes depending on the size of the cookies. They are done when they are firm and the edges are just beginning to brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Recipe from Joy of Baking