- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 sheets puff pastry, defrosted (recommended: Pepperidge Farm)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine the sugar, ginger, cloves, cardamom and kosher salt. Pour 1 cup of the sugar/salt mixture on a flat surface such as wooden board or marble. Unfold each sheet of puff pastry onto the sugar and pour 1/2 cup of the sugar mixture on top, spreading it evenly on the puff pastry. This is not about sprinkling, it’s about an even covering of sugar. With a rolling pin, roll the dough until it’s 13 by 13-inches square and the sugar is pressed into the puff pastry on top and bottom. Roll each side towards the middle until they meet. Make sure it is a tight roll. Once this is complete, wrap the dough in plastic wrap tightly and place in the refridgerator for about 30 minutes or until firm. Once firm, slice the dough into 3/8-inch slices and place the slices, cut side up, on baking sheets lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Place the second sheet of pastry on the sugared board, sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar mixture, and continue as above. (There will be quite a bit of sugar left over on the board.) Slice and arrange on baking sheets lined with parchment.
- Bake the cookies for 6 minutes until caramelized and brown on the bottom, then turn with a spatula and bake another 3 to 5 minutes, until caramelized on the other side. Transfer to a baking rack to cool.